Omega 3’s and heart health is a topic a woman over 50 needs to be up to date on. According to Craig Weatherby, a journalist and writer who has specialized in nutrition, herbs, and complementary therapies since 1987 reports, “Recent evidence reviews have questioned the value of omega-3s to heart patients. But in a major reversal, the results of a large, lengthy clinical trial vindicate their value for cardiovascular patients and folks with major risk factors — even those who take statin drugs.
The newly published five-year trial involved more than 8,000 people diagnosed with cardiovascular disease or who were at high risk for it. And the trial’s results vindicate the value of omega-3s, in resounding fashion:
- 25% fewer cardiovascular deaths, heart attacks, and strokes.
- Major reductions in stubbornly high blood triglyceride levels.
The findings from those trials and others prompted the American Heart Association to
make these recommendations:
- People without coronary heart disease: Enjoy two servings of fish per week.
- Heart patients who need to lower their blood triglycerides: Take 2 to 4 gm of omega-3s daily.
- Coronary heart disease patients: Consume 1,000 mg (1 gm) of omega-3s daily, preferably from fatty fish or fish oil supplements.
- Heart patients taking more than 3 grams of omega-3s daily should do so under a physician’s guidance.”
I hope most of you are in the first category but if not, please know that you can make choices to change your diagnosis. I am providing a link to one of the best suppliers of organic, wild-caught fish and seafood in the U.S. You can read some of the amazing reviews >HERE<. If you would rather take an Omega 3 supplement, you can read my article The Best Brain Health Supplements – 6 Legitimate Choices to see some good options. Please give this part of your health regimen some dedicated attention? Omega 3’s are the single most recommended supplement, especially for those of us over 50. If you eat enough foods high in Omega 3’s, you will not need to supplement. Do this for yourself and…..